North Mankato Public Art Initiative
The City of North Mankato, in partnership with Twin Rivers Council for the Arts is implementing the first steps of the North Mankato Public Art Ideas Plan. We are looking for your awesome ideas to bring fun and creativity into North Mankato through public art and creative placemaking.
What is public art?
Publicly accessible, original art that enriches the community, provides visual identity, and encourages connection between community members. It can help create pulse points and gathering places in targeted areas; acting as an economic driver – drawing visitors, residents, shoppers and development.
What is creative placemaking?
A way of creating a place in the community where people want to visit and be; a place we care about.
What types of projects are we looking for?
- Projects that demonstrate a clear idea, project budget, have a strong community component and that positively impacts North Mankato.
- *Murals (if you want to complete a mural, you must submit a design proposal and specified site with written building owner permission.)
The funding can go to groups, individuals, artists, small non-profit organizations; almost any entity. Applicants must reside in Region 9 of Southern Minnesota.
- Public Art and Creative Placemaking Workshop (recommended; not mandatory) –
- May 21, 2018, 6-7PM, Neutral Groundz, North Mankato
- Accepting Applications – May 21 – June 30, 2018
- Notify selected applicants – July 15, 2018
Complete projects by January 1, 2019
If your project is accepted
- Sign contract and receive 80% of project support.
- Initiate and complete project by January 1, 2019.
- Help North Mankato and Twin Rivers communicate information about your project while you do it.
- Submit final report (This will be a simple set of questions asking what you did and an updated list of expenses. The form will be sent with your contract when the project is confirmed).
- Receive remaining 20% balance of support.
Contact Noelle Lawton, Twin Rivers director at email@example.com
North Mankato Public Art and Creative Placemaking Application
Tell us how you will make North Mankato more awesome using public art or creative placemaking!